Vibrant, abundant hair on men and women was seen, since the ancient times, as a symbol of power and authority. The loss of hair, though it does not directly affect our health, is arduous, as a natural consequence, and causes anxiety and intense resentment.
Learn about the hair anatomy
The life of the hair makes a long cycle until it falls and is reborn. In its first phase, the one of the development, the hair grows over a time period that reaches 5-6 years. In the second one, the calm phase, the hair is weakened and is about to fall, until the third phase, the telogen phase, where it falls, leaving the root to exist for the regeneration of the next hair.
How much hair do we lose every day and when is the loss problematical?
On a daily basis, each of us loses about 80 hairs, while in seasonal increases, women notice a greater loss at the time of hair washing. If the amount of hair that is lost for more than 2 months is doubled, then a visit to a dermatologist-dermasurgeon is recommended.
Common causes of hair loss
- Iron and ferritin deficiency or some thyroid disorder / dysfunction are very likely.
- Another quite common possibility is some hormonal fluctuation which has been manifested through a menstrual disorder or in the presence of polycystic ovaries (for women).
- Many women present hair loss because they often pull up their hair in a bun, forcefully pulling it. Others make daily use of potent hairdryers, burning the hair. Fortunately, the latter case is completely reversible if it is dealt with on time.
- Hair fungal infections (ringworm) may cause a temporary hair loss.
- Some specific skin conditions and the intake of certain medications result into a permanent hair loss.
- The first factor to which the androgenetic alopecia is attributed, is heredity, or otherwise known as genetic predisposition, namely the DNA has “documented” the fact that problematic hair loss shall appear or not (up to 7 generations back!).
- Very strong male hormones which act destructively on the hair follicle (5α reductase enzyme).
- A strong possibility is age, a normal cause, as, with the passing of the years, the chances of hair falling from an area of the head increase.
- Anxiety disorders and intense stress affect the normal smooth function / movement of the hair.
Androgenetic alopecia, the most common and frequent type of hair loss affects and preoccupies 75% of men after the age of 40. The characteristic feature present in most people, showing the androgenetic alopecia is the gradual weakening of the hair, which eventually disappears completely, from the top of the head and the temples.
In order to determine the appropriate treatment method for each patient, various diagnostic tools are used to record and evaluate the number, density, quality and condition of the hair follicles (trichoscopy procedure).
What are the test which should be performed?
For the best evaluation of hair loss in each individual, separately, the dermatologist initially recommends a complete blood count of a specific direction and a densitometry, which will measure the hair per square centimeter.
The following, are also important exams:
Trichogram: Determines the proportion of hair.
Phototrichogram: Extensive hair analysis.
Advanced treatment methods
However, there are hair loss treatments tolerated by both sides, which can present amazing results, with or without invasive techniques.
- Laser cooling treatment to stimulate and develop hair.
- Mesotherapy for the administration of pharmaceutical and multivitamin preparations into the hair follicles.
- The PRP Technique, namely autologous regeneration with platelets, which is absolutely safe for the overall health of the patient.
- Stem cells, one of the most modern experimental therapies.
- Cloning, which, when applied, is going to offer very important advantages to the treatment of hair loss.
- Hair Transplantation Techniques. After millions of applications, they are a guarantee for hair stimulation. At Hair Transplant, the following are successfully implemented: Strip (FUT) or micro-strip, FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and eyebrow transplantation.
The aforementioned techniques are recommended / proposed to people of almost any age, showing minimal contraindications.
What do treatments at Hair Transplant guarantee?
- Stop of hair loss and thinning
- Strengthening of the hair follicles
- Strengthening of the local blood circulation
- Increase of hair growth
- Coverage of the problem area